06 January, 2012

TV dinner!

Not really, but when I was trying to figure out the best way to heat up Wednesday night's leftovers for last night's dinner I had a stroke of brilliance:



Okay, maybe I'm a little generous on what counts for brilliance around here only I couldn't help but get excited over these arrangements. I even made place for the desert: banana cake I invented earlier in the week.

This was also a particularly satisfying meal (despite my having overcooked the brussel sprouts) and one that Mr Fab gave high marks. Meatloaf (recipe below) with mashed potatoes, kasha, roasted brussel sprouts and semolina banana cake. I was planning on making some mushroom gravy but I forgot. Both nights!


Breadless meatloaf (based largely on this one)
A tasty, wheat-free alternative to the typical breadcrumb loaves
Serves 2-4
1 pound ground beef 85% lean
1 egg
1/3 cup Scottish (stone-ground) oatmeal
1/4 cup ketchup (plus 2 T to put on top)
1 medium onion, grated or finely minced
salt, pepper and my secret ingredient:
1/4 ounce top-quality dried mushrooms

A note on the mushrooms: I used Polish boletes but porcini would work well. The important thing is that they are dried and have a potent woodsy, almost meaty aroma. Then you'll want to break them up into fine pieces, even dust is okay. I did this by chopping them up with a good sharp knife, yielding about 2 T of pieces.

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a standard loaf pan (I buttered a glass pan)
  2. Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix well, just use your hands already - it's the best way to make a meatloaf.
  3. Shape loaf and place in pan
  4. Spread another tablespoon or two of ketchup on the top of the loaf (I add an inch of tubed tomato paste to this to intensify the flavor)
  5. Bake for 40 minutes and let rest another 10 before cutting
  6. Enjoy!
I'll post the semolina banana cake recipe after I make it again and document things properly.

    4 comments:

    1. i would like the banana cake recipe please! :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sure thing, Barbie, you can be my test baker! Get four bananas ripening and watch your email. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Looks delish! I can't wait to try the recipe.

      ReplyDelete