08 February, 2012

Stash busting meets fundraising!

As you likely know, there was a lot of commotion on the interwebs lately around the Susan G. Komen foundation's decision (later reversed) to stop funding Planned Parenthood's cancer screening services. My favorite thing I read at that time was BeckyinVT's thoughtful response. Even better, her subsequent scarf drive post calling for quality hand-knit (or crochet) scarves to benefit the High Risk Breast Program of Vermont.

So yesterday I cast on the first of what I hope to be several scarves that I can complete by Becky's start of May deadline. My Kureyon stash should disappear quickly with this one and I'm happy to be able to help a worthy cause while I make some much-needed room on my shelves.


I'm very excited about participating in and promoting this effort and I hope you join me. The HRBP website reports that last season's donated scarf sales accounted for $3600 of funds raised for the program. It would be cool to see how much we can add to those numbers by hitting the interwebs. Also, I love Vermont. And, truth be told, breasts.

Visit http://beckyinvt.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/scarves-for-cancer-research/ for details on the scarf drive. Thanks! Don't knit or crochet? Why not!? Never too late to learn, but you can still help HRBP by using the donate button in the right column of their website at http://hrbp.vermontcancer.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment